Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Blog #9: Learning to f(x) in a New Workplace


Elizabeth Wardle's chapter titled, "Identity, Authority, and Learning to Write in New Workplaces" was an interesting piece that showcased the story of Alan, a recent college graduate trying to fit into his new workplace and failing miserably due to his inability to learn the proper writing skills needed for his position.


Wardle's analysis of Alan's actions leading up to his resignation emphasized the need for hasty assimilation into a new workplace's way of thinking, writing, and functioning. She mentions in the beginning of her chapter how there's often a grace period for new hires to acclimatize to their job and how "neophytes must learn and conform to the conventions, codes, and genres of those communities." If they fail to do so in a timely manner and show little indication of future improvement, then they better start hunting for another job.

What I thought about while reading Wardle's chapter was my own experience starting my first ever job. I was only taking 13 units last semester and felt like I needed to keep myself busy so I started looking for easy, entry-level jobs. I had zero experience prior to applying so I was willing to take whatever job I could get.
I ended up getting hired by a new cryotherapy center as a technician and a front desk assistant. I'd say it's a pretty cool job and the work is really chill. lol
I related to Alan because I struggled much like he did when he first started working for the Humanities department for his school. I've been geared towards working in the health industry my entire life so the idea of needing to market to and attract customers and actually getting them to want your services was completely mind blowing.
If you work in the medical field you have a steady influx of customers because literally everyone will eventually get sick and need medical attention.

At my new job I had to work on my customer service skills and learn how to become a saleswoman. It's not writing like Alan in his poorly written mass e-mails, but it's communication through verbal exchange. I had to learn how to talk to clients in a way that persuaded them that we offered products and services that they wanted/needed. Had I not learned how to push for sales, keep customers happy, and maintain good relationships with my coworkers, I probably would've gotten fired and left a bad reputation much like Alan did. Poor kid.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Selena!

    First I would like to say that your description on what Elizabeth Wardle article was on point. For me it was surprising that Alan refused to adapt to his new found job in order to stay and be successful. Although may seem bad that is the truth for most us going into a new workplace. If we get a new job then that means that we'll probably have learned something new or change our way of thinking if we wish to survive. All in all, that's human survival if one is not able adapt to a current situation then it is most likely be doom to fail. As the old saying goes "life isn't fair", but that doesn't its true for everyone.

    From your fellow blogger,

    David Bobadilla

    ReplyDelete