Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Blog #2: Genre Awareness

After reading Amy Devitt's research article titled, "Teaching Critical Genre Awareness," I realized how completely unaware I was of the problem in genre pedagogy in the first place. English curricula across the board have been traditionally one-dimensional in regards to genre teaching. In her paper Devitt states that if you were to, "Ask students to write about the current candidates for president or to apply feminist theory to a literary work, and many will write five-paragraph themes (341)." This claim is absolutely true since the five-paragraph theme is completely hardwired into students' brains – it’s simply second nature. Students abide by what genres they know, what they've been taught, and what they've been trained to master. Any deviation from the standard genres taught in the classroom, in my personal experience, have generally been met with criticism and negative feedback. This strict regulation demonstrates how current teaching methods are far from fluidity. To be fair, all of the English courses I've taken thus far have been lower division in which the instructors stress proficiency in basic rhetorical devices, strategies, and analysis. The easiest way for professors to teach these basic skills is through repetition of the standard five-paragraph theme.

Upper division writing, however, is a whole different ballpark. Being enrolled in a "W" class means that one already has a good understanding of persuasive writing. Breaking down Devitt's three generic genre pedagogies, I would say teaching genres as particles would be lower division writing, teaching genres as fields would be upper division writing, and teaching genres as waves would be a conduit between the two. Here we see a shift to a higher form of learning by changing our focus to "academic skills (such) as analysis, synthesis, and evaluation" and "to consider how different audiences and contexts shape the rhetorical situations" as described in our course catalog.

This is when critical genre awareness becomes wholly important. As students become more specialized throughout their course of professional development, it’s easy to become engrossed in one or only a few definite genres. We’re intrigued by the things that are pertinent to our specific interests and then render everything else irrelevant. Devitt’s claim that, "When writers take up a genre, they take up that genre's ideology" (339) explains how the genres a person uses help develop that person’s identity whether its personal, professional, or anything in between.


Devitt’s argument about the importance of critical genre awareness is something to take note of. Genre awareness allows people to have a liberal point of view when reading different types of literature intended for specific audiences. With genre awareness we become conscious of the writer’s intentions, are more adept to understanding text, and are more likely to form sensible conclusions and take deliberate action.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Selena!
    I really enjoyed reading your blog about genre awareness. I 100% agree with you regarding how "wired" 5 paragraph essays are driven into our mind, as if it is the only way to be. I also agree with you that being aware of different genres allows people to have more of a point of view in writing, were not as "robotic" when it comes to staying in format and having no freedom to formal writing.
    Thank you!
    -katie gerstenberg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Selena!

    The whole "5 paragraph essays" are so true and I did not even realize it at all. I just thought of it as another dreaded assignment and now I feel like teachers should have more of a variety when assigning essays. I also felt that there was a complete shift when I entered college as well because the RWS classes I have taken all made me write really long essays, outside of the 5 paragraphs. I have also noticed that after doing all these 5 paragraph essays, that we have become more robotic in our writing, like katie mentioned and I feel like one of the reasons why is because we usually get templates on how we should write these essays. Also, we get fed words as well on how to transition in our sentences as well. Hopefully teachers start going away from their standards so that we can get more variety in our writing.

    All the best,
    -Lisset Perales

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your that we as students are forced into the rather mundane 5 paragraph essays. I feel that Devitt makes a good point that a variety of writing genres should be taught in school as it would welcome creativity and allow students to critically think about topics by having them presented in a different way rather than the essay format. The university focus far too much on the students to write persuasive and research essays. If the university taught many different writing styles it would probably in turn make the students better writers as well as they would be more inclined to write for classes.

    Your Fellow BLogger,

    Kina Bramlette

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree that students are forced into the very strict and structured 5 paragraph essays. Even from 6th grade I can remember being required to write papers with these same requirements. In high school, they claim to be preparing us for our college career writing. Writing these papers feel like more of a chore than being able to express myself. When I am given all the rubrics, examples, and templates I am so stressed to fit the mold. Writing should be more creative.
    Katie Yale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish! In the effort to teach academic writing, it's almost like we (in the university) remove all other types of writing or reasons to write. It is a shame. EF

      Delete
  5. Hello Selena! After reading your blog, I could say I understood the reading better. There were parts of Devitt's reading in which I was like "uhhh?" but after reading you blog entry, I was able to think about the reading retrospectively and went "ohh, that's what she meant". In other words, great understanding. It also happened to me that my high school professors were extremely strict when it came to writing EXACTLY how they wanted it. A change in format or genre would get me in trouble. I really enjoyed your blog post. Thank you for that.
    -Santiago Gayon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice discussion, Selena. You added a lot of ideas to the ones we reviewed in in class.
    EF

    ReplyDelete